Cheesy title? Maybe. I love a good pun.
My love for green tea cuts deep. For any of you that have followed me since my beauty and YouTube days knows that I used to post about green tea all the time. Green tea is my secret weapon. My secret weapon in keeping high energy to fight fatigue to its antioxidant superpowers and also not to mention weight loss. Why am I always talking about antioxidants?
Antioxidants are the body’s defense agents. They are chemical compounds that prevent aging and chronic diseases. Put simply, the more you have, the better equipped your body is in the fight against infections and disease. Green tea also has L-Theanine, the buzz word du jour right now, being touted as natures xanax!
Green tea has so many benefits, we know that. And, if we want to take it a step further let’s talk about matcha. Matcha is like green tea on steroids and I can’t even tell you how deep my love goes for matcha.
Over a thousand years ago, matcha came to Japan as an aid to meditation practice. During long hours of sitting, monks would drink matcha to remain alert yet calm. Modern science has recently confirmed the lessons of centuries of tradition. Matcha is rich in L-Theanine, a rare amino acid that actually promotes a state of relaxation and well-being by acting upon the brains functioning. While stress can induce beta waves an excited, more agitated state, L-Theanine creates alpha waves, which lead to a state of relaxed alertness. And while L-Theanine is common in all tea, matcha may contain up to five times more of this amino acid than common black and green teas.
Matcha benefits are IN.SANE. They even surpass green teas which already are so high. Why? Matcha is ground WHOLE tea leaves, anything in its whole form is better for you. Case in point, apples versus apple juice. You can not even compare. Matcha tea contains a unique, potent class of antioxidant known as catechins, which aren’t found in other foods. In particular, the catechin EGCg (epigallocatechin gallate) provides potent cancer-fighting properties.
- – When you drink matcha you ingest the entire leaf and receive 100% of the nutrients of the leaf
- – Matcha powdered green tea has 137 times more antioxidants than regularly brewed green tea.
- – One cup of matcha = 10 cups of regularly brewed green tea in terms of nutritional content
Let’s talk benefits:
- – Packs with antioxidants including the powerful EGCg
- – Boosts metabolism and burns calories ( Already nearly calorie free, matcha is a great addition to a weight loss program by tackling the problem from both sides. It boosts metabolism and burns fat. One recent study even suggested that matcha may help burn calories by four times. At the same time, matcha does not put any stress on the body. It doesn’t raise blood pressure or heart rate, making it a safe alternative to questionable quick fixes or pharmaceuticals ridden with side effects.)
- – Detoxifies effectively and naturally
- – Calms the mind and relaxes the body
- – Is rich in fiber, chlorophyll and vitamins
- – Enhances mood and aids in concentration
- – Provides vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium
- – Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar
Matcha is super easy to incorporate into your daily life. Also, it’s so portable and travel friendly as it comes in powder form, they even have little travel packets to dump in your water throughout the day. Yay!
How do you matcha?