Recently it seems if you aren’t drinking mushroom tea you aren’t in the cool kids club. No matter where you are on the caffeine intake spectrum you may want to give mushrooms a shot. You can add to water for a caffeine free elixir, or your tea for a lighter caffeine dose or go full on with a mushroom roast.
Mushrooms’ earthy flavor works perfectly with bold, roasted coffee beans, providing a smooth flavor as well as high levels of antioxidants and other compounds that may enhance your focus and thinking capabilities. Additionally, geranium, also found in mushrooms, enables the body to use oxygen more efficiently while reducing damage caused by free radicals. Might as well stock up on extra benefits while you’re pouring a cup, right?
However, it can be overwhelming to know which medicinal mushroom is right for you and in what situation. Guess who is here to help you? Moi. Here is a quick, handy, dandy little guide to help you choose which is right for you.
Four types of medicinal mushrooms to choose from:
REISHI– used for stress and sleep. If you have occasional stress and difficulty sleeping, Reishi mushroom can help you relax and get a good night sleep. It is recommended that you drink this two hours before going to bed or during a stressful day.
CORDYCEPS– used for energy and performance. Cordyceps is an adaptogen, not a stimulant, so it helps you produce and maintain steady energy levels. Coffee can give you an energy spike, followed by a crash; cordyceps, on the other hand, helps your body produce its own energy. It is recommended that you drink this when you are having an active day to support energy.
LION’S MANE– used for brain health and nervous system support. Lion’s Main is an all-natural cognitive enhancer. It has been shown to support memory and concentration. It is recommended that you drink this while studying, reading or writing for extra concentration powers.
CHAGA– used for its antioxidant properties. Chaga mushroom can help support immune functions. It is called the king of mushrooms. You’ll find growing naturally in the wild and it has antioxidant properties. Drink this in the morning to start your day off on the right foot.
My favorite brand and the brand that actually introduced me to this concept is a brand called Four Sigmatic. I love it for the ease of use. The Four Sigmatic packets are in the form of an instant coffee and come in easy, portable to go packets. They use mild-tasting Arabica beans and don’t have the same strong or bitter taste most associate with traditional coffee, and the mellow brews even lack the telltale jitters, energy crashes and rough-on-the-tummy acid. Looking for a gentler, healthier coffee with a boost other than caffeine? Mushroom coffee may be your new #BFF.
6 Reasons you should be drinking a mushroom tonic today:
- Lions Mane mushroom is scientifically proven to enhance memory and brain function. It’s most known for its neutrophic effects and may help with outstanding focus and attention.
- Chaga mushroom also has the highest antioxidant potency than any other food. This fights against cell damage and leaves you without the nasty stomach burns like a regular coffee. You can read about my Chaga post here.
- Chaga is considered as one of the most akaline forming foods in the world due to its mineral contents. When your body is in an akaline state, it is said to help to defend against cancer formation.
- It is known that cordyceps mushroom supports you adrenal health recover from depletion and fatigue. You can read about my cordyceps post here.
- Chaga mushroom has beneficial effects on the digestive system. These medicinal mushrooms have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that are recogonized for aiding the stomach in an important part of the digestive system.
- Medicinal mushrooms help maintain high energy levels while avoiding the post-coffee crash. This is due to the heightened adrenal support.
My favorite is the “Stay awake” variety which blends Chaga and Cordyceps for the antioxidant superpowers and the energy boost in the to go packets. You can order it here. I also love the superfood blend which contains 10 species of different functional mushrooms that are all widely researched. The combination of many adaptogenic mushroom species may help with stress without any caffeine, so you can add to your tea of choice, water or even your own favorite coffee. You can order this one here. They also even have a cacao and shroom blend for a mushroom hot chocolate. Yum!
Will you give mushroom coffee a go?